Egyptian Lentil Stew with Carrot Dukkah Toasts
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Medium bowl
- Large pot
- Small pan
- Small bowl
1/4 cup biodynamic extra virgin olive oil
To taste salt & pepper
3 1/2 tbsp. spice mix (cumin, coriander)
2 1/2 cups water
4 slices 7 grain big toast, frozen
1 tbsp. sesame seedsShop this recipe
Preheat Oven & Prepare the Veggies
• Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
• Rinse, scrub and dice the sweet potato into 1-inch cubes.
• Dice the onion, and mince the garlic and ginger.
• Rinse and slice the carrots into ½-inch thick coins.
• In a medium bowl, toss the carrots with 1 tbsp. olive oil, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the carrots onto the baking sheet and roast until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes. Rinse and dry the bowl.
Cook the Stew
• While the carrots are roasting heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion.
Cook until tender and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in the sweet potato and half of the spice mix.
• Stir in the lentils, water, and vegetable bouillon.
• Bring the mixture to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until sweet potatoes and lentils are tender, 15-20 minutes.
Make the Carrot Dukkah Toasts
• Place the slices of bread directly on an oven rack for 3-4 minutes to toast them.
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a small pan over medium-low heat.
• Using the broad side of a knife, crush the hazelnuts.
• Add the hazelnuts, sesame seeds and remaining spice mix to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the hazelnuts and sesame seeds are toasted, 2-3 minutes.
• Transfer the carrots from the oven back to the medium bowl used earlier and mash with a fork.
• Spread some of the mashed carrot mixture on each toast and sprinkle with the toasted nuts/seeds.
Bring It All Together
• Rinse and roughly chop the mint.
• In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and half of the mint. Add a large dollop on top of each carrot Dukkah toast.
• Evenly divide the stew between two bowls and garnish with the remaining mint. Serve with Carrot Dukkah toasts on the side!