1 cup long grain white rice
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 teaspoons canola oil
1 lb firm tofu – drained, patted dry, and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
1 red serrano or jalapeno chili, sliced
1/4 cup basil leaves, tornShop this recipe
1. Cook the rice according to the package directions.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin, vinegar, and cornstarch.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the eggplant, scallion whites, garlic, chili and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
4. Cook, tossing frequently, until the eggplant is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the hoisin mixture, tofu, and scallion greens and cook, tossing gently, until the sauce is thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the basil.