Deconstructed Falafel Bowl with Rice & Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce
- Small pot
- Food processor/blender
- Small & large bowl
- Large pan
1/2 cup long grain brown rice
1 cup water
2 cups leafy greens
1 mini cucumber
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons oat flour
1/2 cup non-fat plain greek yogurtShop this recipe
Make the Rice
- Rinse the rice in a fine sieve under cold water. Add the rice to a small pot with 1 cup of water and bring to boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Let cook until tender and the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
Prepare the Ingredients
- While the rice cooks, rinse, dry, and roughly chop the leafy greens and parsley. Mince the garlic. Dice the cucumber, onion, and pickle. Peel and grate the beet. Halve the lemon and squeeze the juice into a small bowl, removing any seeds. Set aside.
Make the Falafels
- In a blender/food processor, combine the leafy greens, chickpeas, tahini, cumin, half of the lemon juice, half of the garlic, half of the olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the oat flour with a fork or spatula.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Form the falafel mixture into small balls. Once the oil is hot, add as many falafel balls as you can fit comfortably. Cook until they are golden-brown on the pan side, about 3-4 minutes. Flip to cook the other side until golden-brown. Remove from heat and repeat for any remaining falafels.
Make the Sauce
- Add the Greek yogurt, remaining lemon juice and remaining garlic, cucumber, and salt and pepper to a small bowl or jar and stir to combine.
Bring It All Together
- To serve, divide the rice evenly between two bowls. Top with falafel, onion, beet, and pickles. Add a scoop of hummus, drizzle with cucumber-yogurt dressing, and garnish with fresh parsley!