Curried Sweet Potatoes with Chickpeas & Indian Chopped Salad
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon curry powderShop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and Dry the sweet potatoes, then pierce them in a few places with a fork and place them in the oven on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until soft but not quite fully baked.
2. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, dice the tomato, cucumber, and onion. Chop the kale, cilantro, and mint, and juice the lime into a small bowl, removing any seeds.
3. Prepare the salad. Combine sugar, cumin, lime juice, mustard seeds, and 1 tbsp. of the diced onion in a medium mixing bowl. Stir. Add the cucumber, tomato and mint to the bowl and let the veggies sit while you finish putting together the sweet potatoes.
4. Once the sweet potatoes have cooked and cooled enough to handle, make a 2-inch slit at the top of each sweet potato and scoop the insides into a large mixing bowl, leaving the skin inside. Use a fork to mash up the insides, and then set aside.
5. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat and then add the remaining onion and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add the chickpeas and kale and cook until the kale has wilted, 1-2 minutes. Next, add the curry powder, cilantro, coconut milk, a pinch of salt, and the sweet potato insides. Stir to combine.
6. Use a spoon to stuff the mixture back into the sweet potatoes. Return them to the oven for about 10 minutes before serving with the salad!