Cucumber-Watermelon Quinoa with Crispy Halloumi & Basil Dressing
- Small pot
- Baking sheet
- Two small bowls
1 ½ cups water
To taste salt & pepper
1 tbsp. biodynamic extra virgin olive oil
4 oz. sheep halloumi
½ cup panko japanese style breadcrumbs
¼ red watermelon, on
1 mini mini english cucumber, mex
¼ cup non-fat plain greek yogurtShop this recipe
Make the Quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce heat to simmer. Cook the quinoa until tender and the water is absorbed, about 10 -15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Bake the Halloumi
- While the quinoa cooks, drizzle a baking sheet with 1 tbsp. olive oil and turn the oven to the top broil setting. Cut the halloumi into 1/4 inch strips.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk with a fork. Pour bread crumbs into another small bowl.
- Dip each piece of halloumi into the egg and then coat with breadcrumbs. Lay them on the baking sheet and bake for 3-4 minutes, until crispy and golden-brown. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Remove from oven and switch oven to the low broil setting. Flip halloumi and return to oven for 3-4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Prepare the Dressing & Toppings
- Remove the watermelon rind with a knife and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Dice the cucumber and mince the green onion. Mix into the quinoa once cooled.
- Roughly chop the garlic and basil. Halve the lemon and squeeze all of its juice into a blender, carefully removing any seeds. Add the Greek yogurt, basil, 1 tbsp. olive oil, and garlic. Blend until smooth.
Bring It All Together
- To serve, evenly distribute the cucumber-watermelon quinoa between the two bowls. Top with crispy halloumi and drizzle with basil dressing!