Crustless Eggplant Pizza with Bunol Asado Spread
This delicious pizza is completely grain free as it uses eggplants as the base. Eggplant rounds are then topped with Bunol Asado – Good Food for Good's Mediterranean spread loaded with 1 lb. of vegetables that have been roasted for hours. Cheddar cheese is used in this recipe, but you can substitute for mozzarella or goat cheese. It's a delicious, nutritious, hearty, easy and quick meal for any night of the week.
Eggplant is a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B1, and copper. It is a good source of manganese, vitamin B6, niacin, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. Eggplant also contains phytonutrients such as nasunin and chlorogenic acid. “Nasunin” an anthocyanin phytonutrient is found in eggplant skin. Nasunin is a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger that has been shown to protect cell membranes from damage. In animal studies, nasunin has been found to protect the lipids (fats) in brain cell membranes. Cell membranes are almost entirely composed of lipids and are responsible for protecting the cell from free radicals, letting nutrients in and wastes out, and receiving instructions from messenger molecules that tell the cell, which activities it should perform.
More reasons to eat Eggplant with the skin on!
1 large eggplant
1 tub bunol asado, fresh mediterranean spreadShop this recipe
1. Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Grate the cheese, chop the pepper and parsley, and dice the onion.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
3. Arrange the eggplant rounds on a baking sheet; lightly coat with olive oil.
4. Bake eggplant rounds in preheated oven until hot, about 8 minutes.
5. Flip the eggplant rounds; top with Bunol Asado in an even layer to cover, and return to the oven and bake for about 3 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and top with melted cheese, chopped peppers and diced onions. Return eggplant to oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
7. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve on a bed of baby spinach.