Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
2 lbs white mini potatoes or other small potato, washed
4 teaspoons salted butter
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
0 maldon salt
0 medium ground black pepperShop this recipe
1. Fill a large pot with cold water and place it on the stove top. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and let them dry. Place the potatoes on a flat surface. With the back of your hand or the smooth side of a meat tenderizer, gently press down on each potato until they are about 1/2 inch thick.
3. Place a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoon olive oil. Once the pan is hot and the butter has melted, add a single layer of potatoes. Season the top with maldon salt and black pepper. Cook until brown and crispy, about 3 minutes, and then flip. Add the garlic and let it cook until just starting to brown. Remove garlic. Season the other side of the potatoes with maldon salt and pepper and cook again for 3 minutes, or until brown and crispy. Transfer the potatoes to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Sprinkle with maldon salt and pepper.
4. Wipe out the pan and repeat the process with the remaining potatoes.
5. Once all the potatoes are finished, wipe out the pan again, add 2 tablespoons of oil, and fry the rosemary for 30 seconds, just until it starts to crisp, but don’t let it turn brown. Transfer the rosemary to the top of the potatoes to cool.
6. Taste the potatoes. Season with maldon salt and pepper if necessary. Sprinkle with some of the rosemary just before serving.
*potatoes can be boiled the night before and refrigerated until ready to use.