Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
For this recipe, you'll need:
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Vegetable peeler
- Blender/food processor
- Large pot
2 teaspoons amber maple syrup (no 2, grade c)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 cups water or vegetable broth
to taste, salt & pepperShop this recipe
Roast the Veggies
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise and peel the skin. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and slice the squash into 1-inch cubes.
- Rinse and halve the bell pepper. Dice the onion.
- Combine the squash, bell pepper, onion and garlic in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine and pour onto the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven until fork-tender, about 30-40 minutes.
Blend the Soup
- Once the veggies have roasted, transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor.
- Add the maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour in as much of the water/broth as you can manage without going beyond the maximum fill line (you can stir in the remaining water/broth later).
- Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Bring It All Together
- Transfer the soup to a large pot over medium heat and add the remaining water/broth, if any.
- Let the mixture simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Evenly divide between two bowls and enjoy!