Cranberry Apple-Stuffed Acorn Squash
2 fuji apples
0.5 cup dried cranberries, 1kg
0.5 teaspoon cardamom
0.25 teaspoon whole cloves
1 salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste, optionalShop this recipe
1. Core and chop apples into 1/4-inch pieces. Grind cloves.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise and with a spoon, remove pulp and seeds. In a large baking dish place squash cut-side down.
3. Pour 1/4-inch boiling water into dish. Place dish in oven and bake squash for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F
4. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients to make stuffing.
5. Remove squash from the oven after the 30 minutes. Turn halves over and stuff centre of each squash half with apple mixture.
6. Return to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes (or longer) until squash and apples are tender
How to cut acorn squash: to prevent the acorn squash from rocking while cutting it, cut a small slice off the bottom to flatten it. When halving, cut through the stem end to the point rather than across the diameter. Save the acorn squash seeds to toast for snacking just as you would pumpkin seeds.