Chunky Tomato & Vegetable Soup
This Chunky Tomato & Vegetable Soup by blogger Lynsey Walker is a great way to hydrate and provide your body with much-needed electrolytes, vitamin C, B vitamins, and magnesium. Healthy and delicious, this nutrient-rich soup will revitalize and fill you up.
2 vine tomatoes
2 tablespoons raw cashews
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 cups water
1/4 teaspoon crushed chili pepperShop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch think slices. Remove thyme leaves from stem. Peel and slice the carrots into half moons, and dice celery stalk into small ribs. Chop sage leaves and remove kale leaves from stem.
2. Place the sliced tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with some olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme leaves.
3. Chop the top off the garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Add to the baking sheet with the tomatoes. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the tomatoes are wrinkly, and garlic is soft. Allow to cool.
4. Add tomatoes (with any juices that have accumulated on the tray), garlic, water and cashews to a blender. Purée until smooth.
5. Add some olive oil to a large pot. Heat over medium heat and add onions, carrots, and celery, cooking for about 4 minutes to soften. Add red pepper flakes and sage leaves. Continue to cook until onions are translucent (another 4-5 minutes).
6. Add tomato mix from the blender to the pot and bring the mixture to boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, kale leaves, and chickpeas. Continue simmering for about 5-10 minutes until veggies are soft and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.