Chocolate Beet Cake
Veggies aren't just for dinner! Not only is this cake delicious, but it's much healthier than most desserts the holiday table will be laden with this year. The beets add a subtle flavour (to be honest, you can barely taste them) to the rich chocolatey goodness of this cake. A great dessert option for the holidays as you can indulge without (too much) guilt ;)
1 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (muscovado)
1/2 teaspoon coarse grey sea salt
3/4 cup natural cocoa powder
3 cups unbleached cake & pastry flour (soft)
1 - 1 1/2 cups water
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, 71% cocoaShop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Grease pan, and beat oil and sugar together until smooth. Add dry ingredients, then water.
3. Mix it all real good.
4. Add the beet, vanilla, chocolate chippies, and lemon. Mix some more.
5. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until you can insert a toothpick and have it come out clean.
6. Cool in a pan for 10 minutes, and then turn it out onto a cooling rack.
7. Ice with your favourite icing (avocado icing anyone?!) if desired.