Chili Spiced Chicken with Sweet Avocado Salsa
- Large bowl
- Small pot
- Large pan
1 tbsp. chili spice mix (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, sugar, paprika)
8-10 oz. chicken, boneless breast (hidden root)
¾ cup ecuadorian quinoa
1½ cups water
to taste salt & pepper
1 organic shallotsShop this recipe
Marinate the Chicken
• Mince the garlic and add it to a large bowl with the olive oil and Chili Spice Mix, stirring to combine.
• Add the chicken breast(s) to the bowl and toss lightly to ‘coat. Let sit for 10 minutes to marinate.
Make the Quinoa
• While the chicken is marinating, rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1 ½ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients
• Rinse the mango/peach/pear and arugula/spinach.
• If using mango; peel the skin and cut the fruit off from the pit and then finely dice it. For peach and pear; cut the fruit off the pit/seeds, and then finely dice it.
• Dice the shallot and halve the lime.
• Peel, pit and dice the avocado.
Cook the Chicken
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Add the chicken to the pan, drizzling any marinade left in the bowl over top. Let the chicken sear without moving it for 6-7 minutes.
• Flip and cook the other side until the chicken is cooked through, about another 6-7 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and shows no signs of pink.
Bring It All Together
• Wash and dry the large bowl used earlier.
• Add the diced fruit, shallots and avocado.
• Squeeze the lime juice on top and season lightly with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
• Evenly divide the quinoa between two plates and top with a piece of chicken and some sweet avocado salsa.
• Garnish with arugula/spinach to serve!