Chickpea Pasta Arrabbiata with Bell Pepper & Basil
- Large pot
- Medium pot
To taste salt & pepper
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. dried italian herbs
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakesShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas in a colander in the sink.
- Rinse the tomatoes, bell pepper, and basil. Dice the bell pepper and halve the grape tomatoes, reserving the tomato juices. Roughly chop the basil.
- Dice the yellow onion and mince the garlic.
Simmer the Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and chickpeas, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender, about another 5-6 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, water, dried italian herbs and chopped basil, stirring to combine. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes, if desired.
Boil The Pasta
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a medium pot filled with water and a pinch of salt to boil.
- Add the penne and cook until tender-firm (al dente), about 7-8 minutes. Drain the pasta in your colander, reserving about 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Bring it All Together
- Thinly slice the Parmesan.
- Add the pasta to chickpea sauce and stir to combine. Add the reserved pasta water, if desired, until your preferred consistency is achieved. Add half of the Parmesan and mix until it is well incorporated into the pasta.