Chicken Pineapple Skewers with Sesame Bok Choy & Rice
1/2 cup white jasmine rice
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
2 tablespoons unrefined sesame oil
10-12 ounces chicken breasts or tenders
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 cup waterShop this recipe
1. Prepare the skewers by soaking them in water. Rinse rice in a fine sieve under cold water. Add to a small pot with 1 cup water and bring to boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Let cook until tender and water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Dice the green onion and bok choy. Chop the red pepper, onion and pineapple into chunks (roughly 1-inch pieces).
3. In a small pan over medium-high heat, add tamari, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, green onion and 1/4 cup of water. Bring to boil. In a small bow, combine 2 tbsp. cold water and cornstarch and whisk. Once sauce is boiling, reduce heat to simmer and slowly add the cornstarch water mixture, whisking to incorporate. Continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes, then set aside.
4. Chop the chicken into roughly 1-inch cubes, then carefully thread the chicken, pineapple, onion, and red pepper onto skewers. Drizzle with ½ tbsp.. of olive oil. To make chicken on a grill: preheat grill to medium-high. Grill chicken for about 10 minutes, then flip and cook for another 10 minutes or so until cooked through. To make in the oven: place skewers in the oven on an aluminum-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degree F. and shows no signs of pink.
5. In the meantime, heat a large pan over medium-high heat, Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil and the bok choy. Sauté until the bok choy is wilted, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
6. Divide rice evenly between two plates and top with 3 skewers each. Drizzle sauce over skewers and serve with sesame bok choy.