Chicken Fingers & Sweet Potato Fries
- Two baking sheets
- Aluminum foil
- Small bowl
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
1 orange, navel
To taste salt & pepper
2 cups gluten free bread crumbsShop this recipe
Preheat the Oven & Prepare the Ingredients
• Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
• Rinse, scrub and slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch thick matchsticks.
• Grate (’zest’) the orange peel until you have about ½ tsp. of zest. Cut the orange in half and juice it into a small bowl, removing any seeds.
• Peel and mince the ginger.
• Cut the chicken into thirds, lengthwise. Add the strips to a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
Roast the Sweet Potatoes
• Add the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
• Evenly distribute them across one of the baking sheets and roast in the oven until fork-tender (and crispy on the outside), about 30-35 minutes.
Cook the Chicken Fingers
• In the meantime, crack the eggs into the large bowl used for the sweet potatoes and whisk until well incorporated.
• Spread out the breadcrumbs on a plate.
• One at a time, dip the chicken into the egg mixture, lift, and allow to drip excess egg back into the bowl.
• Place the strip on the breadcrumb plate and turn to evenly coat. Transfer to the other baking sheet and repeat with remaining strips.
• Bake in the oven until cooked through (with an internal temperature of 165ºF and showing no signs of pink), about 15-20 minutes.
Bring It All Together
• Add the ginger, orange zest and honey to the bowl with the orange juice and whisk with a fork until well combined.
• Serve the chicken fingers and sweet potato fries with the honey orange dipping sauce on the side!
Tips for Leftover Ingredients
• Breadcrumbs can be sealed and stored in a cool, dry place, and make an excellent stuffing alternative.
• The eggs can be stored in the fridge until the expiry date. Hard-boiled eggs make a great go-to high protein snack!