Chard & Tomato Curry with Chickpeas and Rice
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Small pot
- Large pot
To taste salt & pepper
1¼ cups + ¼ cup water
½ lb. tomatoes, vine
1 tbsp. curried spice mix (curry powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon)
1 tbsp. tamari soy sauceShop this recipe
Roast the Sweet Potatoes
• Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
• Rinse, scrub and dice the sweet potatoes.
• Place them on the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Roast until fork-tender, about 40-45 minutes.
Make the Rice
• In the meantime, rinse the rice in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1 ¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25-30 minutes.
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients
• Rinse and dice the tomatoes.
• Rinse and roughly chop the chard and cilantro.
• Dice the onion.
• Rinse and drain the chickpeas in the sieve in the sink.
Make the Curry
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
• Add the onion and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in the Curried Spice Mix and chickpeas and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in the tomatoes, chard, coconut cream, tamari and ¼ cup water.
• Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until your sauce has reached your desired consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
• Add more water to make a thinner sauce, if desired.
• Stir in the sweet potatoes.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the rice between two bowls.
• Top each with chard and tomato curry, and garnish with cilantro to serve!