Cashew Carbonara with Mushroom Bacon & Kale
- Small bowl
- Large pot
- Blender or food processor
- Large pan
1 tbsp. tamari soy sauce
To taste salt & pepper
¼ cup water
¼ cup parsley, bunchShop this recipe
Marinate the Mushrooms
• Wipe and slice the mushrooms.
• Add them to a small bowl with the tamari and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss to thoroughly coat. Set aside.
Boil the Noodles
• Bring a large pot of water with a pinch of salt to boil.
• Once boiling, add the noodles and cook until tender-firm (al dente), about 8-10 minutes.
• Rinse and drain in a colander in the sink.
Make the Cashew Cream Sauce
• While the noodles are boiling, combine the tofu, cashews, vegetable bouillon, garlic, nutritional yeast, nut milk and ¼ cup water in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Cook the Mushrooms
• Place a large pan over medium heat.
• Once hot, pour the marinated mushrooms into the pan in as even a layer as possible.
• Cook until browned on bottoms, about 3-4 minutes, then flip and repeat on the other side. Remove from heat and return them to the small bowl.
Bring It All Together
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in the same pan used for the mushrooms over medium-high heat.
• Dice the onion and add to the pan. Cook until tender and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
• Rinse the kale and add it to the pan. Cook until it darkens and wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
• Stir in the noodles, cashew cream sauce, and mushrooms. Cook until everything is heated through, about another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
• Evenly divide the carbonara between two plates.
• Rinse and chop the parsley and garnish to serve!