Cajun Chicken with Quinoa & Mango-Avocado Salsa
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
9-12 ounces chicken
1 1/2 cups arugula, clam
1/4 cup living potted basilShop this recipe
1. Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1 cup water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer. Cook the quinoa until tender and the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
2. In the meantime, mince the garlic and shallot, and dice the mango and red pepper. Peel, pit and slice the avocado into chunks. Halve the lime.
3. Combine the olive oil, garlic, onion flakes, Italian seasoning, paprika, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Make a small incision in the fattest part of the under-part of the chicken breast(s) but do not cut through entirely. This will help it cook evenly. Place the chicken in the bowl, and let sit to marinate, turning occasionally.
4. Set a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, place the chicken in the pan, drizzling the remaining marinade overtop. Let chicken sear without moving for 6-7 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 6-7 minutes. Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches a minimum of 160°F or shows no signs of pink. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate. Cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
4. While the chicken cooks, combine the mango, red pepper, shallots, and avcado in a large bowl. Squeeze the lime juice overtop, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well.
5. Serve chicken on a bed of quinoa, and mango-avocado salsa. Top with fresh arugula and basil!