Butternut Quesadillas with Kale & White Beans
- Large pot
- Mediume bowl
- Large pan
1 squash, mini butternut
to taste salt & pepper
2 tsp. fresh city's spice mix (cumin, garlic powder)
½ cup shredded mozzarella & cheddar
½ cup organic medium salsaShop this recipe
Cook the Butternut Squash
• Peel the butternut squash and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut the squash into ½-inch cubes.
• Add the cubed squash to a large pot with just enough water to cover them. Add a pinch of salt and bring to boil.
• Cook the squash until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander in the sink and transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a fork.
Make the Beans
• Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in the same large pot over medium-high heat. • Rinse the kale and remove the leaves from the stem. Roughly chop the kale leaves. Dice the onion.
• Add the onion to the pot and cook until tender and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
• Add the beans and spice mix and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook until wilted, about another 2 minutes.
• Remove from heat and use a fork to roughly mash the bean mixture.
Assemble the Quesadillas
• Grate the mozzarella cheese. Place a large pan over medium heat.
• Add a tortilla to the pan. Top one half of the tortilla with some of the mashed squash and beans, and sprinkle with cheese.
• Using a spatula, flip the empty half of the tortilla so it covers the quesadilla filling. Cook until golden-brown and crispy on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
• Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
Bring It All Together
• Cut the quesadillas into slices and evenly divide between two plates. Serve with salsa on the side!