Brown Butter Rhubarb & Almond Oat Bars
Nutty, crumbly oat bars filled with a tangy, sweet rhubarb compote from Chelsea at Port & Fin. Perfect as a quick breakfast snack, or warm dessert served with vanilla ice cream!
1/2 cup unsalted barrel-churned butter
1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (muscovado)
1/4 cup waterShop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. Cut the rhubarb into 1-inch pieces. Crush the almonds with the back of a spoon into smaller pieces.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook, stirring often, for 5-10 minutes until butter has turned a dark shade of brown. Be sure to keep an eye on this process, as the butter could burn easily. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, almonds, brown sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon until thoroughly mixed. Drizzle melted brown butter over flour mixture and stir until mixture turns course and crumbly. Remove about ⅓ of the mixture and set aside (this will be the topping) and transfer the remaining ⅔ of oat mixture to prepared baking pan, pressing down onto the bottom of the pan to form a "crust".
4. To prepare filling, combine water, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add the rhubarb to pan, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes until the mixture is tender but still chunky. Whisk in a bit of cornstarch to thicken, if desired.
5. Pour the rhubarb mixture over the prepared crust, then sprinkle the reserved oat mixture on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until top is golden brown, then cool completely on a wire rack.