Broccoli & Tuna Macaroni Casserole with Thyme
- Large pot
- Large pan
- Small bowl
- Cheese grater
225 grams brown rice penne
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon goat milk unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all purpose gluten-free flour
1 1/4 cups water
to taste salt and pepperShop this recipe
Boil the Pasta & Broccoli
- Chop the broccoli into small florets.
- Bring a large pot of water with salt to boil and add the pasta. Boil for 10 minutes, then add the broccoli and boil for another 2-3 minutes or until desired tenderness is reached. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Make the Tuna
- In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the tuna steak(s) and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from heat. When cool enough to handle, break them apart into bite-size pieces with your hands and set aside on a plate.
Make the Sauce
- Dice the shallot. In the same large pan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, cook, and stir until tender, 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, 1/2 cup water, and thyme until smooth. Whisk into the pan with the shallots. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in another 1/2 cup water and the bouillon cube. Bring to boil. Grate the cheese and add it to the pan. Stir until melted.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in the pasta, broccoli, and tuna. Mix well, adding 1-2 tbsp. water to thin out the sauce if needed.
Bring It All Together
- To serve, divide the pasta evenly between two bowls and season generously with salt and pepper.