Blackened Trout with Avocado & Tomato Salsa
- Small pot
- Blender/food processor
- Large bowl
- Large pan
¾ cup ecuadorian quinoa
1½ cups water
to taste salt & pepper
1 tbsp. fresh city's greek spice mix (oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley)Shop this recipe
Make the Quinoa
• Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1 ½ cups water and a pinch of salt.
• Bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
Make the Salsa
• In the meantime, prepare the salsa.
• Rinse and quarter the grape tomatoes (or tomatillos). If using tomatillos, be sure to remove the husks first.
• Dice the onion and cut the lime in half.
• Rinse and roughly chop the cilantro.
• Peel, pit and dice the avocado.
• In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes/tomatillo, onion, and cilantro. Squeeze the lime juice over top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Pulse the mixture until everything is finely chopped but still chunky.
• Combine the mixture with the avocado in a large bowl and set aside.
Cook the Trout
• Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
• Season the trout all over with the Greek Spice Mix and salt and pepper to taste.
• Add the trout to the pan and sear, undisturbed, until blackened, 3-4 minutes.
• Carefully turn the trout and cook on the other side until the fish is opaque (not transparent), about another 1-2 minutes.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the quinoa and blackened trout between two plates.
• Top with the tomato and avocado salsa to serve!