Bell Peppers Stuffed with Acorn Squash and Quinoa
This is a lovely quinoa salad on it’s own, but stuffed into peppers it makes an easy one-stop meal and is even more excellent as lunch the next day – cold or hot. Quinoa is a full protein and between the sqash and pepper you’ll get some healthy carbohydrates and loads of vitamins and phytonutrients. You can switch things up by adding diced bell pepper to the quinoa and stuffing roasted squash instead!
2.5 cups vegetable broth
1 pinch lemon zest
0 salt and pepper to tasteShop this recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Halve the acorn squash, scrape out the seeds, and cut it into peel-less half-inch chunks. Toss with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and lemon juice, spread the evenly over a greased or no-stick baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, stirring after 10.
3. Remove squash from oven and leave oven on at 350°F.
4. Rinse the quinoa (I used white, but I think red would be okay too). In a large pot over medium heat, lightly sautee garlic and green onion until the garlic starts to turn golden brown. Add the drained quinoa and stir until the quinoa started to smell toasted (it is weird. You will know when it happens). Add half of the thyme, all of the squash, and the broth.
5. Cover and simmer over medium heat until all liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes or however long it takes). Remove from heat, and add the rest of the thyme, the lemon juice, the zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the squash and toss mixture together.
6. Wash and halve the peppers; stuff with the squash-quinoa mixture and place in oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until heated through. Serve with salad for a quick and healthy dinner!