Beet & Chickpea Burgers with Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chips
- Small pot
- Small bowl
- Blender/food processor
- Large pan
½ cup + 3 tbsp. water water
To taste salt & pepper
1 tbsp. brown flax seeds
¼ cup dried parsley
2 gluten free flax buns
1 small package sweet potato chipsShop this recipe
Cook the Quinoa
• Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with ½ cup of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Let cool.
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients
• In the meantime, combine the flax with 3 tbsp. of water in a small bowl.
• Rinse and dice the beets.
• Cut the onion in half. Dice one half and thinly slice the other. Mince the garlic.
• Rinse and roughly chop the parsley. Rinse the sprouts.
• Rinse the chickpeas in a fine sieve in the sink.
• Peel, pit and slice the avocado.
Make the Patties
• In a blender or food processor, combine the cooked quinoa, oats, flax mixture, beets, diced onion, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
• Pulse the mixture until smooth.
• If the mixture seems dry, add water, one tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached (it should form together easily but not be too sticky).
Cook the Patties
• Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Form the quinoa/beet mixture into 2 roughly equal sized patties.
• Carefully place them on the pan and cook them without disturbing until golden-brown, about 3-4 minutes.
• Carefully flip the patties and repeat on the other side.
Bring It All Together
• Toast the buns if desired and top each bun with a patty.
• Top each patty with your desired toppings: ketchup, Dijon mustard, sliced onion, avocado, and/or sprouts. We recommend using ALL of them!
• Serve with some sweet potato chips on the side!