Beef Moussaka with Eggplant & Zucchini
- Medium bowl
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Large pan
- Large baking dish
To taste salt & pepper
8-10 oz. ground beef (harley farms)
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp. greek spice mix (oregano, garlic powder, parsley)
½ cup parmesan
1 half-dozen hope eggs
¼ cup non-fat plain greek yogurtShop this recipe
Roast the Veggies
• Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
• Rinse the eggplant and zucchini and slice them into ¼- inch thick rounds. Add them to a medium bowl and toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
• Pour the veggies onto the baking sheet and bake until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Set the oven to broil.
Make the Sauce
• While the veggies roast, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
• Dice the onion and add it to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
• Add the ground beef and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the beef.
• Stir in the Greek Spice Mix and tomato sauce.
• Simmer until the mixture thickens, about 10-12 minutes.
Bake the Moussaka & Pita
• Rinse the medium bowl used for the veggies earlier.
• Grate the Parmesan and add it to the bowl.
• Add the egg and Greek yogurt, and mix well.
• Wrap the pita in aluminum foil and set aside.
• Transfer the beef mixture into a large baking dish, smoothing the surface with the back of a spoon.
• Arrange the roasted eggplant and zucchini slices in an overlapping fashion on top. Pour the egg-yogurt mixture over the veggies, smoothing it evenly.
• Broil the moussaka in the oven until the topping has turned golden-brown, about 3-5 minutes.
• At the same time, place the foil-wrapped pita directly on an oven rack and bake along with the moussaka.
• Watch carefully that nothing burns.
Bring It All Together
• Carefully remove the moussaka and pita from the oven and let cool slightly before evenly dividing both between two plates to serve!