Baked Salmon Pesto with Roasted Tomatoes & Lemon Barley
- Small bowl
- Small pot
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
2 vine tomatoes
1 3/4 cups water
to taste salt & pepperShop this recipe
Preheat Oven & Prepare the Ingredients
• Preheat the oven to 450°F.
• Rinse the tomatoes and cut into ¼-inch thick slices.
• Using the fine side of a grater, 'zest' (grate) the lemon peel until you have about 1 tbsp. of zest.
• Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl, removing any seeds.
• Rinse and dice the green onions, and mince the garlic.
Make the Barley
• Add the barley and 1 ¾ cups water to a small pot and bring to boil. Once boiling, add the lemon juice and reduce heat to simmer.
• Cook, covered (but stirring occasionally), until tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30-35 minutes. • Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest and garlic.
Bake the Salmon
• In the meantime, place the tomato slices on one side of the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
• Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
• Tear a piece of aluminum foil big enough to wrap around the salmon fillet(s). Place 1 tbsp. olive oil in the center of the foil and lay the salmon on top.
• Season salmon with salt and pepper to taste, and spread with the basil pesto. Wrap tightly in foil.
• Remove the tomatoes from the oven and add the foil-wrapped salmon to the other side of the sheet. Bake in the oven for 10 more minutes.
• Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the salmon sit for 2-3 minutes in the foil packet.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the barley between two plates. Carefully open the foil packet and cut the salmon fillet(s) into two pieces if necessary.
• Top the barley with salmon and roasted tomatoes.
• Garnish with green onions to serve!