Baby Beet Tart
8 ounces puff pastry (can be bought frozen or made from scratch)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar (muscovado)
to taste coarse grey sea salt
to taste whole black pepper, ground
10-14 ounces baby beets, scrubbed and halved
1/4 cup canola oil
A pinch of golden cane sugar (turbinado)Shop this recipe
1) Preheat oven to 375. Roll out pastry on floured surface to thickness of 1/4 inch and set aside in refrigerator.
2) Melt butter and oil in frying pan, add cider vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper and stir. Add halved beets and toss to coat. Transfer to oven proof dish, cover with foil and roast beets in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until tender.
3) Take beets from the oven and rearrange neatly placing them cut side up. Lay puff pastry over the beets tucking the edges down the side of the pan. Return to oven for 20 minutes or until puff pastry is fully puffed and golden brown.
4) Leave tart to cool for 15 minutes, then flip it out of pan by putting a plate over top and inverting it.
5) Drizzle vinaigrette over tart and serve.