3 medium eggplants
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oilShop this recipe
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet.
2. Prick the eggplants with a fork all-over and place them on the grill. Grill, turning frequently, until the skin chars and blackens and the flesh just begins to feel soft, 8 to 10 minutes. This can be done on a gas stove by placing the eggplants directly on the flame of a burner. Transfer the eggplant to a lined backing sheet and bake until very soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven, let cool completely, then split the eggplants and scoop out the flesh. Discard the skins. Place the eggplant flesh in a bowl and using a fork, mash to form a paste.
4. Combine the olive oil and the minced garlic, then add to the mashed eggplants. Add the sour cream and the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine evenly. Taste and adjust the seasonings accordingly.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with the remaining parsley and serve at room temperature with freshly toasted pita chips.
Notes: If roasting the eggplants in the oven or broiler, substitute sea salt for smoked salt to help achieve the desired smoky taste.