Perfect for brunch on the weekend, these pancakes get an extra burst of freshness thanks to grated fresh apple mixed in to the batter. If you happen to have some pears on hand, they work equally well in this recipe.
1 tablespoon sugar, raw cane, fresh city jar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
2 apple, galaShop this recipe
- 1 cup spelt flour (or all-purpose)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1-¼ cups milk or non-dairy milk
- 2 apples, coarsely grated
- Butter or coconut oil to cook
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients
- Whisk in egg & milk
- Fold in grated apple
- Heat butter or oil in non-stick pan over medium heat
- In batches, drop batter by ¼ cup.
- Cook until golden on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Coconut Caramel Sauce
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 tbsp nut butter of your choice (we used almond)
- Pinch salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut milk, brown sugar & cinnamon.
- Whisk until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in nut butter and salt until pourable consistency is achieved.
- Pour over pancakes!