Celeriac root, also known as celery root, is a savoury, herbal wintertime root vegetable.
Dressed with a sweet maple vinegar, and tossed with crisp apples and salty porchetta, this salad is one of our winter faves!
How to Peel Celeriac:
Use a sharp chef's knife to cut both the bottom and the top of the celeriac. Place celeriac on its flat cut side. Using the chef's knife, slice off the remaining celeriac skin vertically from top to bottom.
1/4 cup maple syrup, amber
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, raw
1 teaspoon >fresh thyme, oz
1-2 tablespoons vinegar, organic white wine
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cups canola oil, unrefined
5 slices pork, signature smoked bacon
1/2 cup celery root (celeriac)
3/4 cup pecans
1 garlic clove, peeled and choppedShop this recipe
For the Apple Maple Dressing:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 sweet apple (such as Gala), peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- fine sea salt, to taste
- Heat apple cider vinegar in a small skillet over medium-low. Add the maple syrup and reduce the temperature to low until the liquid thickens and a dark caramel colour forms, 3-4 minutes. Add apple and garlic. Sauté until the apples are cooked through, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and place in a blender with thyme, white wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Blend for 30 seconds, then slowly add grapeseed oil and canola oil. Continue to blend until the dressing has fully emulsified. Taste and season with salt, as desired.
To Assemble the Salad:
- 5 slices smoked thick-cut bacon
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 3 crisp apples (such as Granny Smith), washed, cored, and thinly sliced into half moons
- 1/2 cup celeriac, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 handfuls dandelion greens, washed and chiffonade (ribbon strips)
- 1/4 cup apple maple dressing (see recipe above)
- Heat a large skilled over medium and cook the bacon until crispy on all sides, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain, then crumble. Wipe down the skillet and place back on the stove over medium heat. Add the pecans to toast, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Place greens in a large bowl. Mix in crumbled bacon, pecans, celeriac, and apples. Lightly toss. Pour 1/4 of the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve immediately.
Recipes by Dee Buryk (@deeburyk) and Photos by Janette Downie (@janettedownie)