Almond Butter Puffed Rice Treats
Technically not a cookie, but this is a great update on a classic rice crisp treat that will add some variety to your holiday cookie roster. This has all the crunch and chewiness of the original but is much more wholesome, swapping out the usual butter and marshmallows for nut butter and brown rice syrup to bind, and just a little extra touch of sweetness from a drizzle of chocolate and a sprinkling of shredded coconut.
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups rice puffs puffed cereal
to garnish unsweetened shredded coconutShop this recipe
1. Prepare an 8” x 8” square pan, lining it with parchment paper on both sides.
2. In a large pot over medium-low heat add the brown rice syrup, vegan butter spread, almond butter, and salt. Stir well until combined and heated through. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Add in the rice crisp cereal and stir until thoroughly combined.
3. Scoop mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly, pressing it flat with your fingers or a pastry roller. Place in freezer to set for 5 minutes while you make the chocolate glaze.
4. Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, and Microwave on high for about 60 seconds, stirring after 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn. Stir in the almond butter and pinch of salt.
5. Remove pan from the freezer and drizzle with melted chocolate mixture and coconut. Place in the freezer again until mixture is completely firm, about 15 minutes, then you can slice into 12 squares. Bars will hold their shape quite well at room temperature, but you can store in the fridge to ensure the chocolate stays solid.