15 Minute Beets
The beautiful color of beets also reflects their rich concentration of health-promoting phytonutrient antioxidants, which add free-radical protection to your Healthiest Way of Eating. They are also rich in folate and manganese.
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
10 basil leaves, chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons goat feta (optional)
0 sea salt and cracked black pepper to tasteShop this recipe
1. Fill the bottom of a steamer with 2 inches of water.
2. While the water is coming to a boil, wash beets, leaving 2 inches of tap root and 1 inch of the stem on the beets. Cut beets into quarters. Do not peel.
3. Steam covered for 15 minutes. Beets are cooked when you can easily insert a fork on the tip of a knife into the beet. Although some of their colorful phytonutrients are lost to the steaming water, there is plenty of color and nutrients left in the beets.
4. Press or chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
Peel beets using a paper towel.
5. Transfer beets to a bowl and toss with remaining ingredients while they are still hot.