Warm Quinoa, Shiitake, and Spinach Salad
April 5th, 2012 The quinoa adds protein as well as a chewy texture to this meatless main dish. The heat of the cooked quinoa and mushrooms helps wilt the spinach; the dressing and feta pulls this warm salad together. Adapted from Martha Stewart Living. Ingredients
- ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pounds fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps halved
- 3/4 cups quinoa
- 1/2 pound baby spinach
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat broiler; set rack 4 inches from heat. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- On a large rimmed broiler-proof baking sheet, toss mushrooms with half the dressing (reserve the rest); broil, tossing occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine quinoa, 3 cups water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place spinach in a large bowl; add hot mushrooms, quinoa, and reserved dressing. Toss to combine (spinach will wilt slightly). Top with crumbled feta, and serve immediately.