Tips for Using Your CSA: Seven Easy Ways to Use Your Fresh City Box
Inspired by last week’s post, "Tips for Using Your CSA: Getting the Most from Your CSA" via Alexandra's Kitchen, we’ve created seven quick ways to use your Fresh City Box. One for every day of the week!
QUINOA STUFFED SQUASH
- Halve and roast a squash until fork tender.
- Make a quick quinoa pilaf with cooked quinoa, garlic, lemon or orange juice, nuts/seeds/cheese of your choice.
- Stuff the squash with the quinoa pilaf, bake 5-10 minutes longer and serve.
MIXED GREEN SALAD WITH ROASTED FRUIT
- Cut one apple into eight slices and three plums in half. Add half a cup of walnuts or pecans. Roast at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; pour over one tablespoon of each mustard and honey, two tablespoons balsamic vinegar, and one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Toss over mixed greens, then top with cheddar or chevre.
QUICK-SAUTEE BOK CHOY
- Start with crushed garlic, ginger, and a teaspoon of canola oil.
- Sautee one minute, then add halved baby bok choy (add some mustard greens or thinly sliced radish or carrots from last week!).
- Stir rapidly, cooking only 3-5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of sesame oil.
BEET SALAD WITH APPLES OR FENNEL
- Steam beets for 15-20 minutes. Remove and cool slightly, then peel. Slice into half-moons.
- Juice a lemon or orange, mix with olive oil, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Thinly slice fennel or apples, toss with the dressing, then add beets. Garnish with pumkin seeds, nuts, or goat cheese.
JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE & KALE CHIPS
- Wash and de-stem kale. Rip into pieces (not too small, it will shrink). Thinly slice the Jerusalem artichokes.
- Toss each veggie with olive oil, salt, and dried herbs (thyme or rosemary) or chili flakes.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, until the kale is crisp and the artichokes are golden brown.
ROASTED GARLIC AND JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE SOUP
- In a shallow baking dish, toss an onion (roughly sliced), a few cloves of garlic (in the skin), and two to three handfuls of Jerusalem artichokes.
- Remove from the oven, place in a blender, and add two cups of broth.
- Place in a pot and bring to a slight boil. Season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of chili oil
CARMALIZED FENNEL, ONION, AND KALE SALAD
- Slice fennel and onion into half ince slices. Toss with olive oil and bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add three tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, stir to deglaze the baking dish.
- Pour over a bowl of washed, torn up, raw kale. Toss to coat and wilt kale, then serve.