This Week on the Farm: Hey there Bright Eyes!
By: Jaime Slavin, Nutritionist, MPH (Cand.)
The rumours are true...
Carrots are amazing for your vision.
On that note, I’d love to share a fitting quote with you
"Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded." – Goethe
As a nutritionist and food educator, it is my privilege to give people nutritional tips & "tools" to take care of their body. It is my goal to provide you with nutritious information that enables you to make healthy choices easily.
Speaking of easy, isn’t it so amazing that many unadulterated foods give us nutrients that enable us to brighten up! That vibrant pop of orange from carrots is a sign to show us that we are making the right choice for our body when we crunch on them.
In my opinion carrots are too modest of a root vegetable; as they seem to go unrecognized in the veggie world or only get noticed for their eye health credentials.
Let’s give carrots a round of applause for:
- Being an excellent source of vitamin A (essential for our vision)
- Providing a good dose of potassium (a replenishing electrolyte)
- Calming our nervous system (thanks to magnesium and vitamin B6)
- Immune supportive (thank you vitamin C and folic acid)
- A powerful antioxidant (way to go carotenoids and phytonutrients)
- Cleansing for the intestines (allowing for good gut health)
- Having diuretic properties (goodbye swollenness)
- Blood boosting (excellent for those who have low iron levels)
- Liver cleansing (enabling our body to properly detoxify for optimal health)
I think the humble carrot deserves a standing ovation, don’t you?!
These nutritious carrot credentials coupled with its deliciously sweet taste and crunchy texture make carrots a perfect candidate for a beautifully show stopping side dish or snack. I am excited to share with you an easy, delicious, fun, and local recipe.
Jaime Slavin, Nutritionist, MPH