Seven Easy Ways to Use Your Fresh City Box (Week of Nov. 26)
Belgian Endive with Avocado and Orange
- Wash and dry the 3-4 endives and half a head of lettuce. Cut the endives and romaine crosswise into thin strips and place in a large bowl.
- Toss the greens to combine. Add one avocado (peeled, pitted, and diced), 1 orange (peeled and sectioned), and half an onion or shallot (thinly sliced) to the bowl.
- In a small dish, whisk together 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp oil and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the endive mixture and toss gently to coat.
Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Peel 3 sweet potatoes and cut off the ends. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and then, if they are very long, in half crosswise. Cut each piece into wedges.
- Put the sweet potatoes into a large bowl and add ¼ cup olive or vegetable oil. Mix well to combine. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar and 1-2 tbsp spices of your choice (chipotle, paprika, five spice, Cajun seasoning). Use your hands to mix well, so all pieces are coated with oil and spices.
Spread the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for a total of 25 to 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn over all of the sweet potato pieces. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until they are well browned. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Endive and Apple Slaw
- Combine 2 tbsp minced shallots, 2 tbsp white wine vinegar, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper; add 2 tbsp olive oil, stirring well with a whisk.
- Add 4 cups julienned apple, tossing well; cover and chill.
- Combine apple mixture with 4 cups Belgian endive (halved and thinly sliced) and 2 tbsp chopped parsley in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Serve immediately.
Tomato Leek Frittata
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium. Add 2 cups sliced leeks (white parts); season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Cover; cook 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup grape tomatoes. Cover; cook 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- In another bowl, beat 6 egg whites with salt and pepper to stiff peaks. Whisk in 4 egg yolks.
- Brush skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add eggs; sprinkle with vegetables and 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese, pushing slightly under surface. Cook over medium until sides are dry, 3 minutes. Transfer to oven; bake 15 to 20 minutes.
Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Prepare barbecue for grilling at medium-high heat. Whisk together ¼ cup vinegar, 1/8 cup oil, 1 clove garlic (crushed), 1 tsp basil (dry), 1 tsp oregano (dry) and 1 tsp lemon juice in large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brush mushroom caps with vinaigrette and set on grill. Grill until mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately on whole wheat buns spread with avocado and dijon mustard and top with spinach.
Sweet Potato and Avocado Salad
- Dice 1 sweet potato and roast at 400 for 20-30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ½ cup olive oil, ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 cloves garlic (crushed), 2 tbsp honey, t tbsp ginger (peeled and minced), and 1 tbsp sesame oil. Set aside.
- Remove sweet potatoes and let cool slightly. In a large salad bowl, toss 1 bunch spinach (washed well and dried) with the dressing. Top with the sweet potato and 1-2 avocados (peeled, pitted, and diced). Toss and serve.
Roasted Portobello Salad with Endive
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Slowly add 2/3 cup olive oil, whisking to emulsify. Set aside 1/2 cup dressing to toss with the greens.
- Place 3-4 portobello mushrooms, stem side up, on a baking sheet. Coat both sides with some of the remaining dressing. Roast mushrooms, brushing with more dressing every 5 minutes, until they are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Toss 2-3 endive (leaves separated), 6-8 cups lettuce or spinach, 1 small onion onion (thinly sliced), and 4 ounces blue cheese with reserved dressing, and divide among salad bowls. Cut portobellos 1/2 inch thick, and arrange a few slices over each serving.