Recipe of the Week: Spinach Salad with Garliky Green Beans and Grilled Red Onion
An easy salad that could compliment any meal - make it Asian with sesame seeds, make it Mediterannean with black olives and basil, or keep it simple, as is.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds haricots verts or other thin green beans, trimmed
- 2 small red onions, quartered through root end (leaving root end attached)
- 1 bunch spinach
- Heat grill to medium-low. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and prepare a large bowl of ice water. In another large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice; set aside.
- Cook green beans in boiling water until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer immediately to ice-water bath. Drain beans well, pat dry, and add to bowl with dressing. Set aside.
- Toss onion wedges with remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred, 4 to 6 minutes per side. When cool, trim root end off, and thinly slice onions; add to bowl with green beans, and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Wash and dry spinach, then place on your platter in salad bowl. Top with the green bean and red onion mixture, toss and serve.
- OPTIONAL Garnish with: sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, olives, roasted pecans, cashews, or fresh herbs (tarragon would be lovely!).