Recipe of the Week: Grilled Fennel Bulbs
via White On Rice Couple | Serves 2-4
Fennel and asparagus are perfectly suited to each other, and to the lemon and parmesan in this dish. Start with the fennel and add asparagus to the grill a few minutes before the fennel is done. Serve both veggies on a bed of arugula, and top with some pine nuts or chickpeas and you’ve got a great salad side or lunch!
- about 2-3 Fennel bulbs
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- sea salt
- lemon juice
- vegetable oil for oiling BBQ grate
- On grill or BBQ, make sure the grate is clean. With paper towel, dip in some vegetable oil and oil the grate on the BBQ or grill. Heat the grill.
- Wash fennel bubs and cut the stems and root, leaving only the bulb. If it's a very young and tender fennel bulb, you can eat some of the stem.
- Cut the bulbs in to about 2 in wedges. Toss with olive oil and place on grill.
- Grill each side of bulb or bulb wedges for about 10-20 minutes (depending on toughness of bulb). The fennel bulb will become soft and tender.
- Remove from grill, drizzle with a little more olive oil, salt, some lemon juice and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.