Recipe of the Week: Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad
My favorite way to prepare corn is to cook it directly on the grill, letting the sides char slightly to give it a smoky and delicious flavor. So, I decided to jazz up my black bean salad by grilling the corn first. I love the combination of the smoky corn with the bright flavors of the cilantro and lime.
This salad can be served as a dip with tortilla chips, but I think it is delicious on its own. I served it slightly chilled, but it could also be served while the corn is still warm from the grill.
- 3 ears of corn
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 small tomatoes (or 1 pint cherry tomatoes), diced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Drizzle the four ears of corn with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill the corn for 2-3 minutes on each side, allowing the corn to char slightly.
- Remove from the grill and allow to cool. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off of the cob.
- Combine the corn, black beans, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped cilantro and squeeze the lime over the mixture.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Stir to combine all of the ingredients.