Recipe of the Week: Caldo Verde
Try our updated vegetarian version of this smokey, spicy soup. We leave the potato and carrots skins on, to take advantage of all their nutrients. Just give them a good scrub! If you don’t want to use vegetarian chorizo, try adding white beans for protein, instead.
Makes 6 servings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces vegetarian chorizo or hot Italian sausage, chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1.5 lbs potatoes, cut into quarter inch slices
- 2 carrots, cut into quarter inch slices
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale or char, de-stemmed and torn into small pieces
- Parsley (optional)
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, chorizo, paprika, and chilli powder. Stir for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan by adding the vinegar and stiring to get all the bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and broth. Increase heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale; stir until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.