Mom's Zucchini Bread
December 22nd, 2011 It might be a little hard getting your head around the concept of baking with zucchini, but think about how good carrot cake is and you’ll want to give this a try. Grated zucchini adds moisture and texture (an lots of vitamins!) to this basic spice cake. My mom used to add chocolate chips and pecans, but fresh or dried cranberries would also be a nice touch, and festive too! Ingredients:
- 1 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 cups grated fresh zucchini
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 0.5 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 0.5 cup fresh or dried cranberries, or raisins (optional)
- 0.5 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter one 5" x 9" inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the grated zucchini and then the melted butter.
- Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour, a third at a time. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix.
- Fold in the nuts and dried cranberries or raisins if using.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake for 45-60 minute or until a wooden pick inserted in to the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack to cool thoroughly.