Grilled Zucchini Salad with Purslane and Tomatoes
While purslane can be served in a simple salad with lemon and olive oil, this salad is the perfect embodiment of summer, with grilled zucchini and cherry tomatoes. If you don’t have access to a barbeque, don’t fret: Zucchini can also be grilled in a lightly oiled well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat. Cooking time may differ slightly. Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for brushing zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 zucchini (1 3/4 to 2 lb total), halved lengthwise
- 12 oz purslane, thick stems removed (4 cups)
- 10 oz pear or cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- Prepare grill for cooking. If using a charcoal grill, open vents on bottom of grill.
- Make dressing :Whisk together zest, lemon juice, shallot, mustard, and salt in a small bowl. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until dressing is emulsified. Whisk in pepper and parsley.
- Grill zucchini : Lightly brush zucchini all over with oil. When fire is hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 1 to 2 seconds), grill zucchini, cut sides down first, on lightly oiled grill rack, uncovered, turning once, until zucchini are just tender, 8 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and cool slightly, then cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Toss zucchini with purslane, tomatoes, and dressing in a large bowl. Serve immediately.