Baked Zucchini Fries
Adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
SHHH these are healthy! But you wouldn't know it. Crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle, these zucchini fries are like healthy mozzerella sticks. I've tried them made with quinoa instead of the bread crumbs for a gluten-free option, so tasty and the quinoa adds a nice crunch!
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into skinny sticks
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (we make our own)
- 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites with a fork until frothy.
- Put the breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, garlic powder and cheese on a plate-I used a pie tin. Mix well.
- Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg whites and then into the bread crumb mixture, make sure all sides get coated well. Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet. I did the sticks one by one.
- Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a little crispy. I turned over the fries half way through. Serve warm. We like to dip ours in marinara sauce.