Avocado and Mushroom Quesadilla
November 1st, 2011 You won’t miss the meat in these satisfying quesadillas. The mushrooms add meaty substance, which the avocado and cheese provide comforting creaminess. Feel free to add bell or jalepeno pepper to the onion-mushroom mixture. Serve with a fresh tomato salsa or sliced tomato salad, and dinner is served! Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (not included in Box)
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Hass avocado, mashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 flour tortillas (8")
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 9 to 10 minutes, or until browned. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the avocado and cilantro in a bowl. Arrange the tortillas in a single layer on a work surface. Spread the bottom half of each tortilla with one-fourth of the avocado mixture. Top each with 2 tablespoons of the cheese and one-fourth of the onion mixture. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of the remaining cheese. Fold the top half of each tortilla over the filling.
- Wipe out the skillet and place over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until the filling is hot and the outside is lightly browned. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas. Transfer to a cutting board and cut each in half before serving.