Autumn Root Slaw
November 9th, 2011 Crisp, fresh celery root adds a punch to this easy carrot slaw. The lemony dill dressing works well with the sweetness of the carrots. For a hit of heat, try adding radish; to sweeten the salad, add some grated apple. This salad would work well with a roast, salmon, or a hearty soup. Ingredients:
- 3 carrots
- 1 celery root, peeled, cut in half
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup grated apple or radish; walnuts; dried raisins or cranberries
- Julienne carrots and celery root into matchsticks. The thickness of the matchsticks is up to you, anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4 " widths would work well. This can be done by hand or using a mandolin. **
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, dill, salt, and pepper in a salad bowl.
- Add the julienned carrots and celery root, toss.
- Add your optional ingredients – any or all! Toss to combine.
- Garnish with a sprig of dill and serve.