10 Pie Pumpkin Recipes... No Pumpkin Pie!
During the Fall, pumpkins often adorn our front steps with a goofy smile and a candle. Sometimes they make their way onto our dinner tables for dessert at Thanksgiving or the seeds go into our ovens for an autumn snack. But that is usually the extent of our relationship with pumpkins, which is a shame because there are SO many delicious fall dishes and treats featuring this orange vegetable.
We've sorted through some of our favourites and picked the top 10 pie pumpkin recipes you should be making while they are in season and available locally!
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree
A lot of recipes featuring pumpkin will call for pumpkin puree - forget the canned stuff and make your own instead! Here's how:
1. Preheat your oven to 400F and cut your pie pumpkin in half
2. Scrape out any pumpkin fibres/membranes along with the seeds (save those for roasting!)
3. Lightly brush the inside of the pumpkin with oil or butter, or pour one cup of water on a baking sheet. Place the pieces cut side down on the pan
4. Bake in the over for approximately 30 minutes or until tender
5. Cool until you can handle them and then scoop out the flesh (it should come out easily!)
6. Use a food processor to puree the pumpkin and transfer to a sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth (or overlapping coffee filters) and set over a bowl
7. Let liquid drain and you will have a nice, thick pumpkin puree!
Scoop flesh into blender or food processor; whirl until smooth. Transfer to a sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth or overlapping coffee filters and set over a bowl.
By My Kitchen Addiction. Served in a brown butter sauce with some crispy sage leaves and Parmesan shavings on top!
By Mennonite Girls Can Cook. The perfect fall treat, and great on-the-go - made with a yummy cinnamon pecan glaze drizzled on top!
By Delicious As It Looks. Cozy up to a bowl of this warm and creamy pumpkin oatmeal on a brisk fall morning!
By Brooklyn Farm Girl. "Usually 'Mexican' and 'Pumpkin' don't go together, but in this recipe they are best friends. They are holding hands, whispering secrets (not about you), planning adventures - they are great pals. In this dish, we have the usual chili suspects but then we're throwing in pumpkin because whenever you can you should!"
By What Katie Ate. 'Tis the season for savoury pizza!
By Sprouted Kitchen. Add some extra fibre and fall flavour to your veggie patties!
By The Veggie Nook. These muffins are delicious, healthy and sweet - everything you would want in a muffin! You can also substitute the spelt flour for your favourite gluten-free blend.
By Martha Stewart. Add your favourite fall spices to this dish to give it your own seasonal twist!
By Canadian Living. Pumpkin, sage and pine nuts combine in this dish full of delicious fall flavours.
By Martha Stewart. Leave it to Martha to create a dish that's a delicious feast for the stomach and the eyes.